If any information is incorrect, please Submit an Event Correction
Free and open to all!
Bring your own picnic, and join us on scenic Clark’s Island at Cedarfield, our island property.
This year’s speaker is the Historian & Curator of Hull Lifesaving Museum, Victoria Stevens. Ms. Stevens will be speaking on themes of bravery, solitude and risk-taking at sea. This short talk will take place at Pulpit Rock, the place of the Pilgrims’ first sermon in the New World.
Clark’s Island holds significance as the site of the Pilgrim’s first Sabbath in the new world. The location, Pulpit Rock, is located on the island property owned by DRHS. Cedarfield, the house on the property, is the second-oldest house on the island, built in 1836.
History of the Island:
The Island’s history extends back to the landing of the Pilgrims when, during a blinding storm in December of 1620, a band of Pilgrim explorers rowed into Plymouth Bay. Leaving the Mayflower anchored off Cape Cod, this group of 18 had been sent ahead to find a suitable place for settlement. John Clark, the first mate, spotted the shore of what is now known as Clark’s Island and was the first of them to set foot there. As the next day was the Sabbath, the explorers could not begin repairs on their battered vessel. Instead, the group, including William Brewster, Myles Standish, and William Bradford, marched to the top of the nearest hill in search of a place to worship. They found an enormous boulder at the crest of the Island, and there elected to hold their first worship service ashore. Today, the boulder is known as Election Rock and is inscribed with words from William Bradford’s journal, “On the Sabboth Day Wee Rested.”
History of the House:
Cedarfield was bequeathed to the Duxbury Rural and Historical Society by Sarah Wingate Taylor, a poet, teacher, and historian in 1969. The 17 acre property is rich in history and scholarly tradition. Sarah Wingate Taylor spent nearly all of her summers at Cedarfield. Her ancestors, the Watson family, had lived on the Island since the 1690s. One of her relatives, Edward Watson, built Cedarfield in 1836. During the 1960s Taylor ran the Pilgrim Rock School for American Studies on the Island, inviting talented students and scholars to Cedarfield each year. She treasured her family heritage and the beauty of her ancestral home. The Society maintains Sarah Wingate Taylor’s tradition of education each year through its Sarah Wingate Taylor lecture series, and the annual picnic and commemorative service at Election Rock.
Schedule for the Day:
12:00 DRHS Launches leave DBMS
12:30 Picnic Begins (launches arrive at Cedarfield, begin to tender private vessels)
1:45 Bell rings to request everyone to gather at the Rock
2:00 Remarks at Rock (1/2 hour)
3:00 Public requested to start loading private vessels
3:30 DRHS Launches leave *this is the end of availability of the tenders!
4:00 DRHS launches arrive at DBMS
Reservations for the DRHS Launches Available Starting July 18.
*** CLOSED – Launch reservations are full ***